The Dwelling Place’s 2016 Holiday Drive
Help Make the Holidays Bright for Women Overcoming Homelessness
During the holidays, we are especially grateful to provide warmth, a welcoming home, and supportive services for women who are homeless. Thanks to our generous community, each woman at The Dwelling Place experiences safety and support when she comes here. In 2016, we celebrated with 13 women as they moved on to more permanent housing and we welcomed nine new residents.
We have many ways that friends can support The Dwelling Place’s important work this holiday season!
Sponsor a woman as she overcomes homelessness
Your donation, of any amount, can ensure that we continue our critical work and help more homeless women turn their lives around. The Dwelling Place immediately brings our residents to safety, meets them where they are, and works with them to set goals, find gainful employment, and secure permanent housing. If you would like to make a donation, or host a small event to raise funds, your support will be greatly appreciated.
Your contribution can help in the following ways:
- $50 will underwrite expenses of shelter, food, and case management for a homeless woman for one day. When facing life without a safe home, every day makes a big difference.
- $250 will underwrite expenses for a woman overcoming homelessness for one week.
- $1500 will cover shelter, food and case management services for one month – giving a woman an opportunity to sharpen her work skills, learn how to access important resources, and set life-changing long-term goals.
In-kind drives: Help us meet our year-end goals
Are you part of a company, church, school, or community group that would like to support our work? We are collecting the following donations:
- Metro Cards*
- Gift cards for the ladies to:
- CVS or Duane Reade
- TJ Maxx
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Toilet paper, paper towels, coffee
- Warm socks
- Other in-kind contributions are welcome – please contact us if you have any questions.
* We kindly request that Metro Cards or gift cards be in $10 increments for easier distribution.
Holiday crafts created by children or adults are very welcome and provide wonderful gifts for residents and the women that visit us for Wednesday night dinner.
Spread the word on Giving Tuesday (or any day!)
Mark your calendar for Tuesday, November 29th – Giving Tuesday! Giving Tuesday is a national movement to support charities, and we will be participating for the first time this year! You can show your support by telling your friends about The Dwelling Place:
- Share our new video, Mary’s Story
- Download our Fact Sheet (we are working on this)
- Share the 2016 New York Times article featuring a former resident
Donations can be mailed to:
The Dwelling Place of NY
409 West 40th Street
NY, NY 10018
If you have any questions or would like to arrange a delivery, please contact Sister Joann at (212) 564-7887
We are so deeply appreciative of your support and wish everyone in our community a healthy, happy, and blessed holiday season!